Graduates of the School
The School’s extensive roll of distinguished graduates is enviable.
Three of the School’s graduates have been appointed to the High Court of Australia:
- The Rt Hon Sir Harry Gibbs: Judge, Supreme Court of Queensland, 1963-7; Judge, Federal Court of Bankruptcy, 1967-71; Justice, High Court of Australia, 1970-81; Chief Justice of Australia, 1981-7.
- The Hon Sir Gerard Brennan: Judge, Federal Court of Australia, 1977-81; Justice, High Court of Australia, 1981-95; Chief Justice of Australia, 1995-8.
- The Hon Ian Callinan: Justice, High Court of Australia, 1998-present.
Our graduates include Her Excellency Ms Quentin Bryce, AC, former Governor of Queensland and current Governor–General of Australia, and almost all of the Judges of the Supreme Court of Queensland and the District Court of Queensland. A number of notable politicians are also graduates of the School, and others have attained distinction in academe. These include:
- The Hon Paul de Jersey: Judge, Supreme Court of Queensland, 1985-98; Chief Justice of Queensland, 1998-present.
- The Hon GE ‘Tony' Fitzgerald: Judge, Federal Court of Australia, 1981-4; Commissioner, Inquiry into Possible Illegal Activities and Associated Misconduct, 1987-9; President, Court of Appeal, 1991-8.
- The Hon Justice Margaret McMurdo: Judge, District Court of Queensland, 1991-8; President, Court of Appeal, 1998-present.
- The Hon Patricia Wolfe: Judge, District Court of Queensland, 1995-9; Chief Judge, 1999-present.
- The Hon Wayne Goss: Premier of Queensland, 1988-1996.
- The Hon Peter Beattie: Premier of Queensland, 1998-2007.
- Professor Ross Cranston QC MP: Solicitor-General for England and Wales 1998-2001; Director, Centre for Commercial Law Studies and Dean, Queen Mary and Westfield College, 1986-91; Cassell Professor of Commercial Law, London School of Economics and Political Science (formerly London School of Economics), 1992-7.
- Professor Michael Crommelin: Zelman Cowen Professor of Law, University of Melbourne, 1985-present; Dean of Law, University of Melbourne, 1989-2002, 2003-2007
- Professor Dennis Galligan: Professor of Socio-Legal Studies, University of Oxford, 1993-present.
- Professor Sarah Worthington: Professor of Law, London School of Economics and Political Science, 2003-present.